Sunday, October 28, 2007

size matters.

So my dad and I are planning a trip to Phoenix/Sedona/Grand Canyon in early January because I really want to see the area and it seems like a really good time while I'm out of school to take a trip with my dad. Anyway so I've been doing some google-ing trying to see what kind of travel info is out there about Arizona and today I came across an interesting quote in an article I was reading about experiencing the Grand Canyon, and how it is incomparable and whatnot,

"Dimension means nothing to the senses and all we are left with is a troubling sense of immensity."

I read that and paused for moment and was struck by its application to God as well. So many times I know I start to ponder on the overall magnitude of God and because I can't wrap my mind around it, I will sometimes put up these pseudo boundaries and casings so that somehow the idea of God is shrunk to a nice Happy Meal version that I can digest. Shrunk so that I can be comfortable putting God in my pocket. Shrunk so that I can try to compromise His power and justify being fearful instead. Shrunk so that somehow the idea of God becomes less than terrifying. Shrunk so that I can pretend to understand things I was never meant to. Troubling because we like when we have things all figured out, definitely not when we realize we are not in control.

Foolish and fearful.

So far, my favorite book by C.S. Lewis is The Weight of Glory and I love how he describes our lack of capacity for the vastness of God's:

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex when infinite joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mudpies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

Just a few thoughts I had from reading that quote.

Oh, and if you've been to the Grand Canyon/Arizona, let me know if you have any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc.!

No comments: