Friday, October 26, 2007

serious disappointment.

Everyone has made such a big deal about honeycrisp apples, so today while I was at HEB I decided I would give them a try and I bought 3.

Let me preface this with the fact that I have not eaten a whole apple, [and by this I mean like taken a bite out of an apple, I've only had apple pieces or slices] since before I had braces, circa 2000.

Apples, while pretty, don't appeal to me that much. I think certain foods got the "never eat again" stamp while I had braces, not because they don't taste good, just because the desire permanently went away I suppose while the braces were on, corn on the cob is another good example of this.

This past summer when I switched to HEB and discovered all the pre-cut things they had I also bought a bag of pre-sliced green apples. When I tried these, after I ate one or two slices I started to feel kind of sick and my lips and gums felt weird - can't explain it - and then a few minutes after I stopped eating it I felt fine. I thought this was probably because they put something on the apples to keep them from turning brown and my body didn't like that, so end of the pre-cut apples. Fast forward 5 months to now and the same thing just happened.

Weird.

However, even after the first bite before I felt weird I wasn't that impressed with the apple. It tasted just like a really crisp - which I appreciate - apple. So now I have this barely eaten, $2 apple here and 2 more downstairs. Stake your claim now if you want in on the discarded apple gold.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

For real! I love apples (and eat at least one or more a day) and I can't stand the Honeycrisps. I got them when they were a little on sale a while ago at Kroger (only $2/lb. instead of $2.99) and I found the crispness to be delightful, but the taste was much too sweet for me, almost sickeningly. I even have a very refined sweet tooth (and am eating a cookie right now). I am glad you agree--I feel like I was the only Honeycrisp dissenter until today.