Monday, September 24, 2007

high school musical

No, no this post is not about the, in my opinion, over-rated disney movie.

It's about a recent phenomena administrators are experimenting with in schools. I'm talking about the playing [read: blasting] of music over the intercom system during passing periods.

The high school I observe does this.

The first day it freaked me out a little when I heard, "ohhhhhh, oh, oh, for the longest time..." begin right after the bell rang. I asked the teacher, "Where is that music coming from?", thinking maybe students had taken to carrying around stereos, with amps? or something? How were they allowed to do this? And why were they playing Billy Joel? His response was, "Oh, yes, they play music in between classes and when it stops it means they have one minute to get to class before they are tardy."

Oh. It was still bizarre when second period ended and Blink 182 came blaring over the intercom. No joke, Blink 182! I'm pretty sure I haven't heard them since sophomore year of high school. So I quickly realized there was no rhyme or reason to the song selection, the only requirement is that the music should be so loud in the halls it is nearly impossible to have a conversation. Or yank out someone's weave.

I'm getting used to it now. However today the music player thing was a little off. The "Most Random Cycle Ever" option must have been disabled because first we heard, "Just Can't Wait to be King" from, The Lion King, seriously, almost the whole thing, it was really hard not to grab the eraser and karaoke out in the hall with accompanied dance moves. But then for the next period instead of KT Tunstall or Hootie and the Blowfish or the like, "Provincial Life" from Beauty and the Beast came on [I think is what it's called, you know the opening song when she's in the town and then she goes into the Library and has the dialogue with the Librarian - yeah we heard all of that]. Now if it was hard to supress my desire to be a college kid and bust a move and sing into an eraser before, it was as close to impossible as it gets this time, but I held out and tried to be mature, just mature with a silly grin on my face. Then for the last passing period as I was walking to the front office on my way out the Lion King song came on again so I've had that stuck in my head all day.


It's gonna be king simba's finest fling...

3 comments:

The Roberts' said...

weird

kristin said...

I know, right?

Rachel said...

I remember this from my subbing days at our local high school (perhaps the same one you are in?) I thought it was so strange, too, and I agree that the song selection was random then also.

Another teacher down the hall said having music on in the halls during passing periods cuts out on fights and riots big time. I wish they had it at my high school because back in the day, I saw waaaay too many heads getting slammed against lockers.