Sunday, July 20, 2008

fondant, the devil's play-doh.

oh how innocent and pretty you look.

don't be deceived.

I've been wanting to try a fondant recipe for awhile so if I ever wanted to make a fun cake for a party or birthday or just because, I would be able to.  I wanted to just make a plain cake and make plain white fondant as a simple layer over it so that way I would know how to make it, not for any specific reason or for it to be pretty and colorful. So I looked up a recipe this afternoon and went to the store and came home and got to work.  

When looking at the recipe and procedures I knew it would take awhile but that was no problem, I had the rest of the day to play in the kitchen.  I found the recipe here.  What was alluring about this recipe was that this fondant was actually supposed to be remotely edible compared to most fondant that is while pretty quite tasteless, and making the icing this way was more economical that buying it pre-rolled.    

The reality:  this was by far the messiest project I think I have ever participated in in my life, including things I did as a child that I got in trouble for.  My kitchen at three different times looked as if a powdered sugar/corn starch bomb blew up in there.  At one point the island, surrounding floor, rug, everything I was wearing were all completely covered in white dust. The recipe and procedures had you spreading powdered sugar and corn starch and crisco over the counter and kneading the "dough" (read: and by dough I mean until you get the consistency just right, homemade glue).  There is absolutely no need to have an ever expanding mess all over everything by doing this on the counter or any other place that is not contained, it is much easier and lots cleaner to just knead the mixture in a large bowl.  I say this because it takes awhile to get the consistency just right and you are constantly adding water and powdered sugar and more powdered sugar and/or crisco to the counter itself to keep it from sticking (a huge problem) and by the time I had it sort of close to the ideal consistency the island in my kitchen was completely covered with powdered sugar and dough and mess.  You only need to bring it to the counter when you are ready to roll it out (hence monstrous messes #2 & #3), which is an activity I think is probably a punishment in purgatory, seriously, it's awful and pretty close to impossible to roll it our big enough without it tearing or sticking to the counter. 

Oh and my hands are a little sore from all the kneading.  And it took 4.5 hours.
 
I think this is one of those things you just have to go ahead and try so you can get it behind you and say I will never do that again.  A project such as cupcakes or making fondant decorations for a cake with the first layer of fondant on, sure.  I think they sell special non-stick mats made for rolling out fondant and I would try again with that but not with anything less I think.  Here's my cake with just a plain white layer over a layer cake:



3 comments:

The Roberts' said...

hey it looks good! but i will live through your experience & stick to my plain old store bought icing (its really yummy anyways so why mess with something good?)

Rachel said...

Very impressive! I just had some cake with fondant icing this weekend, and was wondering what was in it. I think I'll stick to old-fashioned icing after reading your experience.

Claire said...

Hey girl! I found your blog through Courtney's. COngrats on getting a job :)

ps your cake looks good. I have always wanted to make a fondant covered cake, esp after watching all the cake challenges on the food network, but now after reading about your edxperience I might have to agree with Courtney.