Thursday, July 17, 2008

the emergent church. (?)

what is the emergent church?  

in all honesty no one knows exactly because the main feature of "emergent/emerging" is elusivity. 

I am almost finished with the book, "Why We're Not Emergent: From 2 Guys Who Should Be" and I will expand on their findings soon hopefully.  Before reading this book I had heard of the term "emergent church" (read: also postmodernism - I knew about this term but I didn't realize they were two peas in a  really hip pod) but had no clue what it was about and now after delving into this mess of a topic I can honestly say there is no way anyone can neatly cover the basis/understanding/foundations/differences of this topic very well because it is so vast and nothing is nailed down but Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church (NOT the openly emergent Mars Hill of Grand Rapids Michigan) gives a little breakdown here that is a really good intro to this topic.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing that, Kristin. I liked his breakdown into the different lanes.