Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mission: MAN BAND

Remember these guys?



and these too,

and a little less known,

and who could forget [mostly everyone, especially if you never knew them to begin with],


So I saw a commerical for this new show on Vh1 a week ago or so and it looked too good [read: a huge trainwreck] to pass up. I set it to record and I watched the first episode last nite. I'm talking about Mission: MAN BAND, people. No, I'm not making this up, vh1 decided to take 4 washed up, former boy band members, give them a contract and a manager and see "if lighting can strike twice" according to one of the guys.

The players:

1. Chris Kirkpatrick. Formerly of N*SYNC [my boy band allegiances lie solely here]. Also, the 'host' if you will, for the others while they are recording, etc. in orlando, in other words theyre living in his way nice mansion. Chris' platform for the show is, "I drink too much and have done absolutely nothing since N*SYNC [career-wise or other], I'm kind of tired of being really lazy, this should be fun."

2. Jeff Timmons. Formerly of 98 degrees. His platform is, "I have all this other stuff going on in my life, [cut to several shots of him on the phone sealing deals and whatnot], I don't really know if this is a good idea, I'm not expecting much." Talk about your debbie downer.

3. Rich Cronin. Former front man for LFO. Remember, the abercrombie and fitch song?? That's them. His platform is, "I was diagnosed with leukemia 2 years ago and now I want to live every day to the fullest and I think we can really turn this into something big!"

4. Bryan Abrams. Formerly of Color Me Badd. ... Well, anyway, his platform is, "I work at a tire factory, my wife and I just found out were having a second child, were in huge debt, this HAS to pay off, we need the money really bad."

I mean with characters like this, how could this not be hilarious? I was laughing through the entire first episode that was supposed to be serious, but between them auditioning with Police's "Every Breath You Take", Jeff quitting and coming back, the comforters Chris had made with each of the guys' huge head shot screen printed on them, and the native american 'new beginnings' ceremony they took part in, I mean really. This should be golden.


No comments: