Monday, December 10, 2007

receding urgency.

They say the first step is admiting you have a problem.

So, here I go, I have a problem, several actually, but for the sake of brevity, I'll just leave it at this one, I am an efficiency junkie.

I want things done in the quickest, most effective way possible. I want them done right.

There I've said it. All 3 of you who read this blog now know.

I heard that old country song on the radio the other day, it goes something like, "I'm in a hurry to get things done/I rush and run until life's no fun/All I really gotta do is live and die/ But I'm in a hurry and don't know why." I remember some odd years ago hearing this song on the radio when I was in the car with my dad and he said, "I think he wrote this song for me." My dad owns his own small business and runs himself ragged a lot of times and is the epitome of the efficiency junkie. Wonder where I get it from?

I really only realize this around finals, once they're over and my brain is still going 90 to nothing like I'm going to run out of time before I get everything "done", even though I have hardly anything to do.

See I go through my days incredibly too mindful of what I'm doing and how long it will take to do it and mainly how much time I have until I need to do the next thing, even when I have no specific deadlines to get whatever it is done.

example 1: Our first morning in Jamaica. I was freaking out because I thought I had slept until noon on my vacation and "wasted" time. What if I had slept until noon? I would have been...rested? But no I even had an agenda on vacation.

example 2: this morning. I was completely finished with finals. My plan: wake up and go to the rec, come home, shower, run errands, make chocolate things for family dinner, go to family dinner around 6ish. I set my alarm for 9:30 in case I didn't wake up at my standard without an alarm time of 8ish, well I woke up at 8ish and then went back to sleep and woke up at 9:30 and then freaked out a little and proceeding to hastily get dressed and get to the rec. Why was I in a hurry? I have no clue because I was back home, showered, and had my errands run before 2.

I've always thought I could be rockstar at coming in and making companies run more efficiently. I don't know if that's a job, but if it is someone should hire me.

I think I need to slow down and stop being so conscious of time because it's distracting and ridiculous. I'm welcoming the break and time at home to practice this.

3 comments:

The Roberts' said...

it is a job. HR people do it. as it turns out, you have found your calling in life thru your own personal quirk!

Rachel said...

I hope you have a restful break of doing nothing scheduled for days on end. Long breaks at home tend to help me with this quirk, but it always comes back when I'm really busy and sticks.

When I was a kid, I thought that song said, "I'm Russian, Russian and life's no fun..." My mom thought it was hilarious to hear me sing it that way.

BrunerAbroad said...

Sometimes I just have to let go of my desire for efficiency around here - it's impossible. I waited in line for 20 minutes to buy a pair of earrings the other day. There were only 6 people in front of me and 2 ladies at the desk. Why did it take 20 minutes? I have no idea. Also, they have "siesta" time around here. There's really no point in trying to run errands between 2 and 5pm, because most likely half the places you need to go will be closed anyway. It's a different world, in more ways than one.